Bugs Cafe is not a restaurant for the picky eaters but a unique one for people who want to pretend they’re taking part in I’m a Celebrity’s bushtucker trial! Try creatures you never dreamed you would munch on, and surprisingly you might even enjoy some of them…
Located along the popular Angkor night market street this is an experience for your tastebuds that you will remember for a long time (even though you may not want to!). The interior is decorated with numerous comedic insect themed posters so if the name didn’t give away what’s in store you’ll definitely now have a clue.
The menu is designed to be tapas, as why try just one insect when you can try many different types…
We chose the following dishes:
- Feuilletes with ants and pesto – I have to say this was the dish I enjoyed the most. Although I did feel a little sad as you could see each of the tiny ants and I feel like with the number of ants on the pastry we probably consumed a whole family!
- Feta and tarantula samosas – these were surprisingly tasty, maybe that was my love of cheese taking over.
- Tarantula doughnuts – for someone with arachnophobia there was something delightfully satisfying about consuming a tarantula. The larger tarantulas were quite chewy and I have to say there was no concealing the fact that within the doughnut was a huge, hairy tarantula – order with caution!
- Scorpion salad – the scorpions tasted nutty (as do most insects, it’s a bit like all white meat tasting of chicken!) and were very very crunchy.
- Insect skewers – an insect medley of grasshoppers ,which were borderline tasty, more tarantulas (worryingly I wonder where they find all these tarantulas….) and giant waterbugs that are not pretty creatures. The waterbugs were quite strange to eat so in the end we just dug out the soft part to eat.
Whilst enjoying your bug feast you can pose and express your feelings with various signs that they leave around for a spot of fun (and insta pics).
Since my visit Bugs Cafe have bought out some delicious sounding desserts, complete with more insects of course, although I’m not sure anything tastes bad if its dipped in chocolate!
Apologies for the low quality of the photos, my camera wasn’t a fan of the lighting!
Find Out More…
Bugs Cafe – http://bugs-cafe.e-monsite.com/